The pattern of WBCS for preliminary and main examination varies on basis of the services. In short, the examination is divided into 3 major parts that are:
- WBCS Preliminary Exam: Single Paper
- WBCS Main Exam (for Group A and Group B Services): 6 compulsory papers and one optional subject
- WBCS Main Exam (for Group C and Group D Services): 6 compulsory papers only
The major subjects involved are:
- Constitution of India and Indian Economy
- Arithmetic & Test of Reasoning
- Pali/ Arabic/ Persian/ French/ Comparative Literature/ Agriculture/ Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science/ Computer Science/ Economics/ Electrical Engineering/ Geography/ Anthropology/ Botany/ Chemistry/ Civil Engineering/ Commerce and Accountancy/ Geology/ History/ Law/ Mathematics/ Physics/ Political Science/ Psychology/ Sociology/ Statistics/ Zoology/ Management/ Mechanical Engineering/ Medical Science/ Philosophy/ Physiology
- Bengali/ Hindi/ Urdu/ Nepali/ Santali
- General Science
The examination will be conducted on OMR sheets. Like always, the preliminary examination will be conducted first followed by the mains.
- 200 objective type questions shall be asked.
- Negative marks are applicable to each incorrect answer.
- WBCS Main examination will deal with objective type questions.
- Exam will be conducted for 1600 marks for Group A and B services/ posts. For Group C and D services/ posts, main exam will be conducted for 1200 marks.
- But for Bengali/ Hindi/ Urdu/ Nepali/ Santali, English and Optional Papers, descriptive type questions shall be asked.
WBCS Syllabus 2018 for Prelims Exam
The preliminary exam is just a screening exam. General questions will be asked in Degree standard for prelims exam.
WBPSC Civil Service Exam Mains Syllabus 2018
In degree standard, questions shall be asked for all compulsory and optional papers of WBCS main exam 2018. But for Arithmetic part of Compulsory paper, questions shall be drafted in a standard equivalent to the Maths paper at Madhyamik examination of the West Bengal board of secondary education.
WBCS Main Exam Optional Subjects
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Commerce & Accountancy
- Comparative Literature
- Medical Science
- Computer Science
- Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
- Political Science
- Civil Engineering
From the above-given subjects, aspirants have to choose any one subject for WBCS optional paper exam. In that particular subject, contestants will be asked to write two papers of WBCS main exam.
You will be able to get the detailed syllabus of your optional subjects from the official advertisement.
WBCS Personality Test 2018
Based on the marks taken by contestants in the Main examination, aspirants shall be invited for the Personality test on basis of their merit.
The minimum qualifying marks of candidates in WBCS prelims, mains and personality tests will be fixed ONLY by the Commission on basis of the available vacancies, average performance of contestants, etc.